The Massey Innovation Prize (MIP) is a competition for Massey University staff to test their technology, invention, or business idea. Applicants present their ideas to a panel of judges who assess the commercial potential. The winners of the Massey Innovation Prize will receive $50,000 of seed investment to further develop their idea.
About the Massey Innovation Prize
The Massey Innovation Prize is awarded by Massey Ventures Ltd. to Massey University staff with innovative ideas that show commercial potential. Academic and general staff can submit their idea, innovation, or technology through the competition portal or via email. The best applications are invited to present their idea at the MIP finals to a panel of judges. The expert judging panel will assess the entries and select the idea with the greatest potential. The winner of the Massey Innovation Prize receives $50,000 seed investment to develop their idea further, with potential access to additional investment of $250,000 through the pre-seed accelerator fund. If more than one entry shows commercial potential, Massey Ventures may offer additional investment to other applicants with promising ideas, innovations, or technologies.
- The Massey Innovation Prize is open to entries from all Massey staff within the University.
- There are no restrictions on the number of applicants, provided at least one applicant is currently employed by Massey University.
- There are no restrictions on the number of applications an applicant can submit, provided the applications are materially different.
- Ideas that have already received investment from Massey Ventures are ineligible. However, novel applications of ideas that have already received funding from Massey Ventures are eligible.
- Entries close on 30th of October 2020, at 11:59 PM. Submissions received after this time are ineligible.
- Read the full terms and conditions here.
How to enter
1. Download the MIP application template below or complete it online.
2. Answer all questions about your ideas to the best of your ability. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch.
4. Successful applicants will be invited to pitch their idea to a panel of judges in November (date and time to be confirmed).