Entries have now closed for the 2021 Massey Innovation Prize.
If you have an idea with commercialisation potential, you can contact the Massey Ventures team any time!
The Massey Innovation Prize (MIP) is a competition for Massey University staff and students to test their technology, invention, or business idea. Applicants present their ideas to a panel of judges who assess the commercial potential. The winners of the Massey Innovation Prize will receive $50,000 of seed investment to further develop their idea.
About the Massey Innovation Prize
The Massey Innovation Prize is awarded by Massey Ventures Ltd. to Massey University staff and students with innovative ideas that show commercial potential. Academic staff, general staff and students can submit their idea, innovation, or technology through the competition portal or via email. The best applications are invited to present their idea at the MIP finals to a panel of judges. The expert judging panel will assess the entries and select the idea with the greatest potential. The winner of the Massey Innovation Prize receives $50,000 seed investment to develop their idea further, with potential access to additional investment of $250,000 through the pre-seed accelerator fund. If more than one entry shows commercial potential, Massey Ventures may offer additional investment to other applicants with promising ideas, innovations, or technologies.
- The Massey Innovation Prize is open to entries from all Massey staff and students within the University.
- There are no restrictions on the number of applicants, provided at least one applicant is currently employed by, or enrolled at Massey University.
- There are no restrictions on the number of applications an applicant can submit, provided the applications are materially different.
- Ideas that have already received investment from Massey Ventures are ineligible. However, novel applications of ideas that have already received funding from Massey Ventures are eligible.
- Due to the Level 4 lockdown on the 17/08/2021, entries now close on 29th of August 2021, at 11:59 PM. Submissions received after this time are ineligible.
- Read the full terms and conditions here.
How to enter
1. Download the MIP application template below or complete it online.
2. Answer all questions about your ideas to the best of your ability. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch.
3. You can submit your completed application through the online form or by emailing your completed application.
4. Successful applicants will be invited to pitch their idea to a panel of judges in September (date and time to be confirmed).